Re: Citation style for Manual

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Citation style for Manual
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 13:03:03 -0700

On 03/25/2014 12:02 PM, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:
On 03/25/2014 06:53 PM, Rik wrote:
On 03/25/2014 11:12 AM, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:
> On 03/24/2014 06:11 PM, Rik wrote:
>> 3/24/14
>>
>> John,
>>
>> We have about 50 citations in the manual to various books, journal, or
>> dissertations.  Is there a preferred format for these?  If not, I think we
>> should choose one and harmonize.  I've been looking at using the IEEE
>> citation style.
>>
>> --Rik
> Rik,
>
> I have had to use the IEEE style quite a lot and I do not like it much.
> Actually, the whole
> package of LaTeX style stuff that you required to use for their
> publications is widely
> (at least around EE at Stanford) viewed as a big headache. Many people
> cannot
> handle it directly and dump it on some grad student.  The author initials
> first is
> uncommon and seems nonsensical to me.
>
> The MLA standard looks better and seems to be widely used.
That's interesting.  I just did a quick web survey and I didn't see much
MLA usage in computer science.  Some Universities have defined a standard,
but often they just say consult your professor for style they want to see.

This page from Dalhousie University
(http://dal.ca.libguides.com/content.php?pid=860&sid=11818#jcxiee) mentions
ACM, APA, and IEEE which is how I got into thinking about IEEE.  Maybe ACM
or APA would be better as they both list last name first in the
bibliography and use the last name in the reference.

> One thing that I think is important, and IEEE does not allow at all, is
> that the citation
> should give the author name, not just [n].  This can be done by just
> typing the name
> before the \reference, but doing it this way (which the IEEE editors
> refuse to allow) can
> be error prone.
This point might not be so relevant for us.  There is only one reference I
saw that was embedded in the text that pointed to the bibliographic
information below.  Rather, our references tend to be at the end of a
documentation string and are simply a bibliographic list of works that
would be useful to visit.

> There seem to be lots of BibTeX citation styles around. It would good to
> choose one
> of these even though they cannot (I think) be directly used in the Manual
> (or can they?).
>
> Definitely settling one one "correct" way to do this is a very good idea.
>
> Michael

Sounds good. The ACM might be a good guideline. How do you intend to make this
"standard" for Octave doc?

Alas, the best way I see is to go through the 50 citations and adjust them manually.

I've used Zotero before for citation management, but I'm not sure it is worth the data entry time to put each reference into a bibliographic database and then have the software spit out the right format.

--Rik