Re: [GSOC 2014] : implementing a Qt Widget

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [GSOC 2014] : implementing a Qt Widget
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 11:18:00 -0400

On Tue, 2014-03-18 at 08:45 +0100, Othman Darraz wrote:
> Hello Jordi,
>
> I am applying for GSOC 2014.

Hi. I don't want to be directly involved as a mentor this year with
GSoC. I'm ok with answering questions here and there.

> I want to work on implementing a QtWidget for manipulating plots. As
> indicated in the ideas page, the first step would be to integrate
> QtHandles code into core Octave. But in source code of core Octave,
> more precisely in libgui/graphics, we can find QtHandles code
> source.

QtHandles got "integrated" into Octave very recently, but there's
still lots of work to be done with it. Other than the code getting
merged in, there is very little integration actually done.

> Could you please give me some precisions about what it is needed to be done
> in this first step ?

I think the QtHandles problems will be obvious if you start using it,
as this is a very rough first draft. I believe we also have some bugs
reported against it in the bug tracker.

- Jordi G. H.