Re: [GSoC2014] Introduction/Request for mentor(s)

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: [GSoC2014] Introduction/Request for mentor(s)
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 10:34:44 -0400

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 5:28 AM, Mathieu Gaborit <address@hidden> wrote:
Le mardi 11 mars 2014 à 19:37:26 (-0400), Michael Goffioul a écrit :
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 6:10 PM, Mathieu Gaborit <address@hidden>wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm a student from France (Acosutics) and I would like to participate to
> > google summer of code 2014. I know octave lang pretty well (i've used it
> > for three years) and python among other langages.
> >
> > I've two different projects that I would like to submit for GSoC.
> >
> > The first one is about Agora. As I know django and python, I would like
> > to work on finishing Agora. I've already taken a look into the code and
> > got in running locally on my laptop. I think I would be able to work on
> > it. I've also considered the possibility of re-using Scipy central
> > source code either to improve Agora or to rebuild it on top of the Scipy
> > Central code.
> >
> > The second one is about the support of TeX/LaTeX symbols in titles. As a
> > student in acoustics, this feature sounds important to me and I'm pretty
> > sure i'm not the only one. I would also try to fix this accents problem
> > (and french, accents in titles are common stuff here....). This would
> > require more work probably but I would be haapy to work on that.
> >

> If you're interested in that project, you should first get a feeling about
> what's currently available. The octave default branch has initial support
> for TeX-like interpreter. LaTeX support was also the topic of a GSoC
> project last year, the code is available here (but was never integrated
> back into core octave):
>
> http://inversethought.com/hg/octave-lojdl
>
> I mentored that project last year. I might consider mentoring it again if
> you submit a strong application.
>
> Michael.

Thanks for this link, I'll take a look during the this week-end (i've
some exams this week).

Can you tell me what kind of "strong application" you expect ?

An application that demonstrates:
- a clear understanding of the project (what the problem is, what's there, what's not...)
- you know what you're going to do
- you have a realistic plan (something more elaborate than: "in July I will write the code, in August I will test it and fix the bugs")
- you're the right person to work on the project

Michael.