Re: GSoC 2014, introducing myself.

From: Pascal Dupuis
Subject: Re: GSoC 2014, introducing myself.
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:27:10 +0100

> On 25/02/14 23:14, Ouzounis_Georgios wrote:
>>

>> Hello everyone.
>>
>>         My name is Georgios Ouzounis and I am a fourth year undergraduate
>> in the
>> School of Electrical and Computer Engineering in Aristotle's University of
>> Thessaloniki, Greece.
>> I am interested in applying to GSoC 2014 for one of the three GNU Octave
>> projects listed below.
>>
>> 1) Rewrite Symbolic Package.
>> 2) Improve MPI package.
>> 3) Interface to Electronic Circuit Simulator.

Hello Gergios,

I enrolled as a mentor, and I would like to comment a bit on your choices:
1) the symbolic packages contain a sub-part called "vpa" which belongs
there as MatLab use the same grouping. "VPA" stands for "Variable
Precision Arithmetic", i.e. numbers whose you fix yourself the number
of digits. If you want to test some algorithm computing 1e6 decimals
of the constant PI, this is the place to go.
I would like to transform this into something more genuine; I started
working on a new class called "multi-precision". The underlying engine
is GNU MPFR; the class is merely a glue layer on top of it. For now,
basic operations as well as mathematical functions on real scalar are
working. Further work include array support and complex numbers.
3) There already exist routines to read SPICE generated files. What do
you envision in your intertace ?

Once again, thank you in joining in.

Regards

Pascal