Re: Get involved

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: Get involved
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 06:31:30 -0800 (PST)

Guillermo Gilabert wrote
> Hello,
>
> I had some experience coding, mainly through my university courses where I
> had to use FORTRAN and C/C++ to solve mathematical problems individually.
>
> I would like to get involved with Octave to help to develop this tool.
> However I have no experience coding within an organization.
>
> How this collaborative coding works? What is the programming language used
> to develop Octave.
>
> Many thanks
>
> --
> *Guillermo Gilabert*
> *BSc(Hons), MSc, PhD, MInsP *
> *E-mail:

> g.gilabert@

>  <

> g.gilabert@

> >*
> *Mobile: +44 (0)7973886001*

Dear Guillermo,

Great to hear from you. It's always good to have new contributors.

Please read carefully this section:
<http://wiki.octave.org/Hg_instructions_for_mentors#Mercurial_Tips_for_SoC_students>
to find out what is expected from GSoC applicants.

The cornerstone of collaborative coding in practice is the use of a code
versioning system.  In Octave, Mercurial (also known as hg) is used.  You
can browse Octave's source code online,  at
<http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/bae00174787c>.

Octave itself is mostly written in C++ and it implements an interpreter of
its own scripting language.  It seeks to be compatible with Matlab, in case
you are familiar with it.

- You mentioned you had experience solving mathematical problems.  Could you
please elaborate on what kinds of problems.

In the Project Ideas wiki page:
<http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas>
you can see several options listed.

It's also recommended you try one of the very short projects available at:
<http://wiki.octave.org/Short_projects>

Please don't hesitate to ask for help here or on IRC:
<http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=octave>

Best regards,
-Felipe.