Re: addpath/rmpath and PKG_ADD/PKG_DEL

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: addpath/rmpath and PKG_ADD/PKG_DEL
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:17:40 +0100

On 25/02/2014 10:48, Carlo de Falco wrote:

Il 25/feb/2014 09:28 "Julien Bect" <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Dear all,
>
> I recently discovered by accident that using addpath and rmpath triggers the execution of respectively PKG_ADD and PKG_DEL, if they exist (see attached test script). This is not documented in the help of the functions. Is it an intended feature ?
>
> If it is, I can file a documentation bug report and provide a documentation patch.

That's exactly the main mechanism by which PKG_ADD/PKG_DEL work and it seems to me that it is explained quite well in the manual:
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/PKG_005fADD-and-PKG_005fDEL-Directives.html#PKG_005fADD-and-PKG_005fDEL-Directives
But, if you think that needs further clarification feel free to suggest a patch.
c.

Yes, it is explained in the manual in the section that describes packages.

But

1) there is no mention, in the section of the manual you're referring to, of the fact that this behaviour is automatically achieved by the functions addpath/rmpath (it is not obvious that "pkg load ..." implies a call to rmpath, for instance),

2) this appears to be in fact a general behaviour of addpath/rmpath, even outside the world of packages,

3) and there is no mention of this behaviour of addpath/rmpath if you type "help addpath" or "help rmpath".

If you confirm that this is indeed the intended behaviour of addpath/rmpath, even outside packages, then I can prepare a patch for the documentation of these functions in libinterp/corefcn/load-path.cc.

@++
Julien