Building sedumi -- "Unable to fine mkoctfile in expected location"

From: fork
Subject: Building sedumi -- "Unable to fine mkoctfile in expected location"
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 19:01:34 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

I am trying to build the sedumi mex files on a windows 7, MinGW, 3.7.2+
Octave installation (the included binaries don't work on MinGW and give
errors running sedumi(<sample data>)).  The install script gives several
errors about not being able to find mkoctfile, but for the sake of testing,
they boil down to the following test case:

29> mex bwblkslv.c
warning: unable to find mkoctfile in expected location:
'C:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\bin\mkoctfile-3.7.2+'

Looking at mkoctfile.m (NOT mkoctfile.exe), it warns because a return value
of 127 was given (it should probably error on that return value, not just warn).

Further looking, the command it is trying to run is the following:

debug>  cmd
cmd = "C:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\bin\mkoctfile-3.7.2+" "--mex" "bwblkslv.c"

I have confirmed that mkoctfile-3.7.2+ is in the above directory (at least
with an "exe" at the end).

The only things I can think that may be causing the error are (0) the 127
doesn't refer to a missing command at all (1) the backslashes getting
screwed up in multiple string interpretations, or (2) the whole string
stored in the variable "cmd" is getting passed to the shell, and there is no
such command with quotes and whitespace included (the value in cmd(1) is a
quote, for example).

The section in install_sedumi.m is running something in an eval statement
(line 215 ish)

  temp = "mex  -DPC -DmwSignedIndex=int --mex bwblkslv.c sdmauxFill.c
sdmauxRdot.c -lblas"
  eval( temp, 'failed=true;' );

I know this issue has come up for other people, but I can't find any active
bug reports.  Maybe it was fixed in 3.8.0 -- I won't install a 3.8.0 binary
until it hits sourceforge due to firewall B.S.

Also, running "mex -h" works correctly, for some reason.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, please let me know!

Just FYI, sedumi builds great on my FreeBSD binary pkg of Octave 3.8.0 --
Thanks Michael Grant, JWE, the Octave team, and everyone!

https://github.com/sqlp/sedumi/