bug statuses for specific information needed?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: bug statuses for specific information needed?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:37:32 -0500

Looking for comments, tell me if I'm overthinking or this isn't needed.

Since I've been doing a lot of bug triage lately, there are many
Octave bugs that tend to fall into two very specific (similar)
statuses that are not quite "need info" and not quite "confirmed".

* Bugs that need input from someone with specific mathematical or
domain-specific knowledge. Not necessarily that they will be able to
work on or fix the bug, but needs someone with expertise in
constrained optimization, or matrix factorization, or even someone who
knows their way around the GLPK library for example. Would it help at
all to be able to set the bug status to something like "needs expert
input"? Or would it confuse and not help bugs get fixed any faster?

* Bugs that need someone with access to Matlab to run a test case.
This often happens with the help of the bug reporter, but sometimes
they don't have Matlab themselves, or don't have the necessary
toolboxes. Would it help at all to have a bug status like "run this in
Matlab for me"? Or is this too specific and unneeded? Or is this
better solved through some other medium, like specific subject tags on
the mailing list?

Thanks,

--
mike