Re: Octave Task List: proof of concept

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave Task List: proof of concept
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:33:37 -0500

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 09:51:06 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 23:24 -0500, Julien Hamilton wrote:
>> I also understood that one of your concerns is to have to use
>> another tool and you already have Savannah and the wiki.
>
>> So what I could propose is to use a Task List directly in the wiki.
>
> I don't understand what you're working towards here. What you created
> looks a lot like the task tracker on Savannah. It has almost the same
> fields. Is the problem that the Savannah interface is too ugly? Or is
> it that not everyone is able to manipulate bugs and tasks in Savannah?

+1 on everything Jordi asked here.

Perhaps if you could better explain what skills/tools you would like
to contribute to Octave to help tasks/projects get completed over what
we do now? And what specific things you think the Savannah task tool
that we have now is lacking to better get projects done?

Looking at your POC briefly, it looks like the main things you've
added are difficulty and time estimates and a completion progress
meter. These things often aren't known, but when we do know them, I
think currently we simply note them in a comment on the task or bug
tracker.

> [...bug triage...]
> Having someone who goes around
> helping us keep our bug tracker tidy, however sounds like very welcome
> and useful person.

We can definitely use help here.

--
mike