Re: Updating our project ideas

From: c.
Subject: Re: Updating our project ideas
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 10:00:18 +0100

On 5 Feb 2014, at 23:48, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 5:27 PM, c. <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 5 Feb 2014, at 23:05, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > This was also the topic of a GSoC last year and some improvement has been
> > made in MXE to streamline compilation with MinGW. However I believe that
> > the installer could be largely improved. For instance, we could provide
> > pre-compiled forge packages, instead of requiring users to compile them.
>
> Also MXE is not really functioning on OSX, that could be a project for this
> year.
>
> Is it really a goal? When Anirudha was working on it last summer, I had the
> impression that the main comment about OS X was "why not just do it with
> MacPort/Fink/...". Maybe I got it wrong.

Yes, that was my comment and that was because Anirhuda was using MacPorts to
make MXE work.
The rationale behind my comment is that, if MacPorts is required anyway,
there's no use in using MXE too.
But it seems Jordi (and maybe also jwe?) would prefer to use MXE only, Jordi
could you comment on this?

> My point is that it's useless to spend time and effort on MXE+OSX if it's not
> gonna be used by packagers.

Indeed I did not use it for packaging 3.8.0.
And I'll package 3.8.1 using MacPorts only.

> Michael.

c.