Re: Willing to work for octave.

From: marco atzeri
Subject: Re: Willing to work for octave.
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 07:35:57 +0100

Il 1/11/2014 5:04 AM, msander ha scritto:
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
Compile Octave and run the test suite with "make check". There are
still some things that don't have tests. You can also look at the
tests that are failing, maybe you can make some of them should pass!

- Jordi G. H.

i have built & run make check.   i looked into the very first failure.
failing in svds.  output of "test svds verbose" below.  I have looked at the
code & tests.  it seems to be failing for technical reasons beyond my
expertise.  I'm not a mathematician.    Presumably this test passes, or used
to pass in certain environments.   Relaxing the pass criterion does not seem
like the correct approach.

Is there someone i could punt this to?    the file lists an author, but no
other contact info.   any ideas?

that test was always problematic
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2011-August/024469.html

the solution is found with iteration from a random start point
and different system/compiler/library could need a
different start point.

I suggest to skip it as it should need a math rethink;
otherwise you could test several start point and
confirm the failure if all fails

Regards
Marco