Re: "octave.sf.net bandwidth exceeded"

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: "octave.sf.net bandwidth exceeded"
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 17:09:05 -0500

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
John Swensen-3 wrote
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Philip Nienhuis &lt;

> address@hidden

> &gt;wrote:
>
>> Hmm... just got this when I tried to surf to the OF developers page:
>>

>> > SourceForge.net Logo
>> >
>> > This project has been temporarily blocked for exceeding its bandwidth
>> > threshold
> <snip>
>> In a way this is good news (in that OF gets quite a bit of attention)...
> <snip>
> A quick look at download stats shows the following for the past 7 days:
> OSX binary = ~1000 x 682MB = 682GB
> mingw binary = ~1130 x 156MB = 176GB
> MSVC binary = ~3000 x 71.5MB = 214GB
> Total: 1.072 TB in 7 days

That confirms that Octave does get quite some attention.... 5130 downloads
in a week is not bad I'd say :-)

Anyway I find it a bit ridiculous that the Octave project would need to
cough up (net that is) for hosting very good programs that get downloaded
for free.

This also sheds some light on what to include in a binary installer.
I have one that also includes the required spreadsheet I/O Java class
libraries (11 pcs), some 22 MB altogether.
Makes me think that we'd need to push more to get donations for more
complete / luxury binary installers.

Actually, if you look at the trends for the Windows binaries (3.6.4) over the last year, we're in the decreasing phase. And download rate has been much higher, for instance last fall. OTOH what has changed recently is the addition of the OSX binary (3.8.0), which is quite large (about 10x the size of the MSVC installer). So maybe SF is choking on distributing such large file.

Michael.