Re: Is the 3.8 "release ” official?

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Is the 3.8 "release ” official?
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 06:10:57 -0800 (PST)

c.-2 wrote
> On 31 Dec 2013, at 10:34, PhilipNienhuis <

> pr.nienhuis@

> > wrote:
>
>> "Branch point" ?
>> There is already http://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave
>>
>> I can't vouch for OSX binaries, but these days making a Windows binary
>> installer merely requires a minute or so of editing and a few mouse
>> clicks/commands followed by a ~2.5 hours coffee break (or time slot for
>> useful other work) while the build process proceeds, thanks to the work
>> of
>> a.o., the two Johns, Michael & Anirudha on MXE.
>> So that has already been tackled.
>
> I'm not sure what Mike referred to was merely the process of building the
> binaries.

Guess you mean Daniel.

> <snip>
>> The more relevant or even urgent issues are where to put binaries up, and
>> what should be included (in terms of OF packages, external dependency
>> libs,
>> etc.).
> <snip>
> The current OSX installer is very (~700MB) large

Ouch!

>  (it might be shrinked, but this takes
> more work than I'm able do spend on it at the moment), so one issue to be
> taken
> into account is also the cost of bandwidth.
>
>> Perhaps a "minimal" Windows binary (=just Octave itself, no or minimal
>> packages) on Octave-Forge (can perhaps even be done today), and a more
>> luxurious one (OF packages etc.) accompanied by a donation hint somewhere
>> else (could wait a a little while)?
>
> Wouldn't it be a bit strange to have Octave without Forge packages
> distributed
> on Octave Forge and a version with Forge packages distributed elsewhere?

Sure,yet I've seen stranger things :-)

An obvious "political" solution is to put up a meager (or maybe more
politically: "lean") binary on OF with just a few OF packages then.

As to me I don't mind much whether a lean or complete binary (like the 3.6.4
MinGW & MSVC binaries) would be on OF.  I'd be OK with it.
But given the recurring discussions about more prominent reminders for
donations, even binaries for sale, I figured that could be accommodated in
some way as well.

It is a bit sad that apparently we haven't prepared so well for this moment,
in spite of the discussions in the recent past. It's understandable - we are
a technical bunch, not so much practical business-minded (no complaint or
reproach!).

Philip