Re: Octave build dependencies wiki

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: Octave build dependencies wiki
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 10:31:43 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I think the main table as it is constructed today will become unreadable
over time. For now, we have
Task     Name    Usage   License / Copyright     Version        Debian
ArchLinux        Level
Recent CVE ?

The left column contains a task: build / documentation /external. I should
introduce one more category: plotting, including on-screen graphs and
printed graphs.

Name and Usage contains the package name as known from "configure" and
"pkgconfig".  Now, the translation between the package name and the packet
name, if we consider that each platform/distribution uses some kind of
package manager, is specific, with variations like libfontconfig-dev versus
libfontconfig-devel. If we start listing all those variations, I fear that
we'll end up with a gigantic table. Shouldn't we make one specific page per
distribution, with one association table "package name" - "packet name" ,
followed by the distribution-specific tips and tricks ?

Regards

Pascal