Re: RC1 problems

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: RC1 problems
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 18:12:52 -0500

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 17:18:05 -0500, Doug Stewart wrote:
> ./configure tells me this:
>
>   Build Octave GUI:                   yes
>   JIT compiler for loops:             no
>   Build Java interface:               no
>   Do internal array bounds checking:  no
>   Use octave_allocator:               no
>   Build static libraries:             no
>   Build shared libraries:             yes
>   Dynamic Linking:                    yes (dlopen)
>   Include support for GNU readline:   yes
>   64-bit array dims and indexing:     no
>
> configure: WARNING: llvm-config utility not found.  JIT compiler is
> disabled.
> configure: WARNING: Xft library not found.  Native graphics will be
> disabled.
> configure: WARNING: JAVA_HOME environment variable not initialized.
> Auto-detection will proceed but is unreliable.
>
> address@hidden:~/octave380rc1/octave-3.8.0-rc1$
>

> What should in install to get rid of these warnings??

If Debian or Ubuntu, install libxft-dev, llvm-dev, and default-jdk.

If Fedora or RHEL, install libXft-devel, llvm-devel, and java-devel.

Else, determine equivalent package names.

I get the warning about JAVA_HOME even when it is found and Java is
built, but it truly is a warning. That's odd that you see that message
when configure already knows that Java won't be built. If you really
want to silence that one after you have a JDK installed, set the
environment variable, e.g. on Debian with bash I could do

  export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java

before running configure, or in ~/.profile if desired. Your path/shell
syntax may vary. This is the closest Linux distros get to
standardizing on how to determine where Java is installed.

--
mike