Re: mingw build failure

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: mingw build failure
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 02:51:34 -0800 (PST)

John Donoghue-2 wrote
> I decided to do a complete native rebuild of octave  id=132667955f66 and
> it
> fails:
>
> ../../libinterp/dldfcn/__init_fltk__.cc: In member function 'void
> fltk_uimenu::u
> pdate_foregroundcolor(uimenu::properties&)':
> ../../libinterp/dldfcn/__init_fltk__.cc:482:43: error: 'gnulib' has not
> been
> dec lared
> ../../libinterp/dldfcn/__init_fltk__.cc:483:43: error: 'gnulib' has not
> been
> dec lared
> ../../libinterp/dldfcn/__init_fltk__.cc:484:43: error: 'gnulib' has not
> been
> dec lared
> make[3]: *** [dldfcn/dldfcn___init_fltk___la-__init_fltk__.lo] Error 1
>

> Going back to previous versions that used to compile (although I probably
> hadn't done a complete rebuild at that time) do the same thing.
>
> Anyone else done a recent complete native mingw build and seen the same
> issue?

I didn't see the same issue - yet. I have other problems with building
octave on native MinGW.

One or two weeks ago I again tried a native build with a fresh mxe-octave
clone, but I didn't get far.
To start, for some reason the build hung a few times after downloading some
packages (IIRC flex and gl2ps) and had to be interrupted and restarted to
get further.
Finally it broke at building (configuring stage) QScintilla; I could track
it down to incomplete "installation" of Qt - while qmake.exe had been built
it was only installed in the tmp-qt/ build tree, and consequently wiped
after mxe switched to building the next package.
It may be that for building Qt I already had to invoke "make" rather than
"./mk-dist" (which should be the official way).

Anyway that's where I gave up.

I can't put a finger on what is different on my (native) build box (WinXP
SP3). I have the impression that building with mxe-octave natively is still
a very fragile procedure compared to cross-building.

Obviously I'd like to give it another try but I have some busy weeks ahead,
and cross-building goes without a hitch (plus, much, much faster than
natively anyway).

Philip