Re: MinGW: EDITOR error messages on GUI startup

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: MinGW: EDITOR error messages on GUI startup
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 12:53:47 -0500

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 09:01:11 -0800, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
> (Inquiry before perhaps entering a bug report)
>
> 1. Upon start of Octave (MXE cross-build, hg summary a99b7d656c  start in
> CLI mode ....") I found that the "New file" button / menu entry in the Edit
> pane didn't work.
> OK, it could be fixed by unselecting the "Use custom editor" option in
> Preferences | Editor (where notepad++ turned out to be set as default
> editor).
> (BTW I've never selected that option in my preferences from previous dev
> versions, why is that overridden?)
>
> 2. Now, upon each start of Octave I get this:

> GNU Octave, version 3.7.7+
> Copyright (C) 2013 John W. Eaton and others.:
> :
> <snip>
> :
> error: The EDITOR option of edit has been removed. Use EDITOR() directly.
> error: called from:
> error:
> X:\Octave\octave-377+_MXE\share\octave\3.7.7+\m\miscellaneous\edit.m at
>  line 162, column 9
> error:   X:\Octave\octave-377+_MXE\share\octave\site\m\startup/octaverc at
> line
> 7, column 1

> I think for average users, both 1. and 2. could be quite confusing at least.

Philip, the error is a result of a change Carnë and I talked about last night.

I think this can be fixed by changing the octaverc installed by
mxe-octave to use the EDITOR function instead of edit() to set the
editor to notepad++. Something like

  EDITOR (fullfile (OCTAVE_HOME, "notepad++", "notepad++.exe"));

I can't comment on the rest.

--
mike