Re: About MXE changeset 7bbaffce14a8

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: About MXE changeset 7bbaffce14a8
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 21:17:04 -0500

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/20/2013 05:38 PM, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> Rik,
>
> I believe there's some confusion in the following change:
>
> http://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave/rev/7bbaffce14a8
>
> The mingw-* patches are not applied when compiling with MSVC. By moving
> the change to a mingw-* patch, you actually broken MSVC compilation.
>
> If you want a patch applied in all systems, use <modulename>-*.patch as
> name. If you want a patch applied only for a given system, use
> <compiler>-<modulename>-*.patch. What is not there, though, is a
> distinction between native-mingw and cross-mingw; in both cases,
> MXE_SYSTEM is set to mingw.
Michael,

Sorry about that, but I don't find this MXE stuff very clear.  Why is a
patch like "mingw-hdf5-1.patch" not filed under "gcc-hdf5-1.patch" since
the compiler is gcc?  Of course, then there would be the problem of
distinguishing when you were trying to apply a patch to the gcc module
versus using gcc as the compiler for a specific module.

I shouldn't have said <compiler>, but <mxe-system>, because that's what it really is. I tend to mix the 2 terms, because in my case, they're both "msvc". Sorry about that.

The patch is applicable to all cross-compiling situations so I renamed the
file to just fontconfig-1.patch.  Unfortunately, I can't push it to the
repository just now because of the DNS issue, but as soon as that is
cleared I'll complete the changeset.

No rush at all. I didn't even pull that changeset. I was just reviewing the recent changes and noticed the potential issue. So I figured I'd mention it to clarify how things are supposed to work.

Michael.