Re: 4.0 vs 3.8 again

From: c.
Subject: Re: 4.0 vs 3.8 again
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 17:11:40 +0100

On 19 Nov 2013, at 16:16, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

> I know we've had this discussion before, but I want to revisit it
> again. I know this is bikeshedding[1], so this will be my final word
> on the matter, I promise. Or at least publicly, if anyone wants to
> keep arguing this with me, we can do so while only the NSA watches.
>
> I really think the next Octave release should be called "Octave 4".
> Not "3.8".
>
> I will restate my case, with a few extra bits of data that we now
> have:
>
>   1) Gauging by the demand for it as well as the development buzz
>      that it has spurred, the GUI alone is gonna be *huge*. It's such
>      a big feature that a change in the major revision is warranted,
>      even if our other big features like JIT compiling or OpenGL are
>      still betaish.
>
>   2) It's good marketing. "Octave 4" is a simple, single number to
>      remember. It's easy to convey to people which Octave version has
>      the GUI, and which Octave version started to make a point of
>      also making timely Windows and Mac OS X binary releases.
>
>   3) The ".0" part of "4.0" gives an indication that we are trying
>      something big and new here. Then 4.2 and beyond will start
>      adding more polish, perhaps JIT or classdef, but for now the
>      ".0" will express to our users that this is a major change. I
>      hope that this will earn us some leeway and indulgence from our
>      users if not everything is great, as long as the GUI is great.
>
>   4) I would like to have a website redesign to go along with the new
>      release, and a big "4" would look very nice in this redesign.
>
> I won't be terribly disappointed if we do decide to go with "3.8", but
> "Octave 4" just sounds so nice.
>
> - Jordi G. H.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikeshedding

personally I don't think 3.8 vs 4.0 makes much difference, but I do
prefer 3.8 slightly over 4.0.

the main reason is that, although the GUI is a huge difference it is
still terribly buggy, at least on OSX where I am testing, I'd prefer
a new major release to be more stable.

I like the idea of the big 4 on the website,
just add "coming soon, stay tuned!" and it will create even more hype.

also this will give more sense to the news window and convince a few users
to leave it open and it's a good way to ask for donations, "4.0 is almost done,
it will
be out sooner if you contribute!"

just my .02€

c.