Re: A question about OCTAVE_BINDIR

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: A question about OCTAVE_BINDIR
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 12:31:07 -0500

On 11/16/2013 09:59 AM, Rik wrote:

What OS are you using?  I just tried this

./run-octave -f  # use -f to prevent any cruft from user-configuration files
cd examples
mex mex_demo.c  # succeeds
which mex
'mex' is a function from the file
/home/rik/wip/Projects_Mine/octave-dev/scripts/miscellaneous/mex.m

Do you have a copy of Octave installed already that matches the version you are running with the run-octave script? If so, then maybe this works. But otherwise, I don't think mkoctfile will find all the necessary header files. When Octave is installed, all the header files are dumped in one directory. But if you haven't installed, they are spread across several directories. I don't really think it is worth trying to fix this so that mkoctfile can work in the build tree. For one thing, people are allowed (even encouraged) to write #include <octave/header.h> but it will be messy to make that work inside the build tree.

Julien, please just take the simpler approach and install Octave if you want to use mkoctfile.

Maybe the summary message that is printed when make finishes should say that run-octave doesn't allow mkoctfile to work?