Re: Community News Window Pane

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Community News Window Pane
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 00:07:19 -0600

On 11/11/2013 02:45 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
On 11 November 2013 19:41, John W. Eaton<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 11/11/2013 01:49 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:

On 6 November 2013 14:50, Daniel J Sebald<address@hidden>   wrote:
[snip]
I agree this can be worded differently. Luckily it's just a matter of
changing things in our side. In special, the part about "Octave may
show it to you even if you've chosen hide the window" which really
sounds like whatever your preferences and settings are, we will do
what we think is better.

I don't see anything wrong with popping the window up occasionally if
there is info that all users should have.

I don't see that as a problem. The problem for me is that we are
saying that even if the user choose to not see the window, we will
show it to him anyway. But I think now it is just misunderstanding. I
read "even if you've chosen to hide the window" as "even if you
disable receiving news, we will show them to you anyway", but you
actually meant "don't worry about closing the window, we will show it
again when there's new news".

It comes to my mind now Java and Adobe which usually have a bad
reputation as being annoying as hell popping up stuff for updates.

Yeah, Java on Windows. It's like the computer is being embodied by ghosts. I'm surprised there isn't something included that takes over one's mouse cursor and clicks on the update for you. :-)

Seriously though, I just want us to be able to connect with our users,
give them useful information, and occasionally ask them to help use in
some way.  Those requests might be to ask them to participate in a
survey about what direction future development should take, or they
might be requests for donations.

How about "Community News" brings up a dialog box with pleasant graphical backdrop of plots, dialog boxes? That is, something that suggests the new GUI and includes a message that uses active tense for the user rather than developers, like "Introducing Octave GUI \n Keep up-to-date with the latest information about important bug fixes, new releases, and other news for all Octave users in the Octave Community News." The Community News text could have a link address to the webpage constituting community news.

As a first entry in OCN I would suggest a more detailed description of the GUI and how it came into being with Qt, Jacob (first presented at OctConf '12 in Montreal), current features, and maybe a roadmap of more to come as bugs are worked out.

For us that is very obvious, we are the good guys in our minds. But
pop up windows and requests to update can be a nuisance and build a
bad reputation, even when we had the best of intentions.

Yes, that is my fear--that the first impression of the GUI would be pop-up menus, etc. I don't think popups are necessary. I think the Community News menu is noticeable enough that someone will occasionally check it out. The most I would do is maybe have Octave check the website upon launching for any news entry with a date later than the last time the user looked, and make a subtle change in color to the Community News font.

Dan