Re: Unidentified developer

From: Daryl Lee
Subject: Re: Unidentified developer
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 20:01:47 -0700

On Nov 11, 2013, at 1:36 PM, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 11 Nov 2013, at 20:06, Daryl Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> 2. After fixing that, re-running portindex, and then "sudo port install
>> octave-local", I get a long string of dependencies, ending in this:
>>
>> --->  Computing dependencies for llvm-3.0
>> --->  Fetching distfiles for llvm-3.0
>
> this is very surprising, as octave local requires llvm-3.3 and not llvm-3.0.
> you may try the following:
>
>  sudo port uninstall -c llvm-3.0
>  sudo port install llvm-3.3

After trying the next option (it looked simpler), I tried the above,
uninstalling llvm-3.0 first.  But I had to insert the --follow-dependents
option to get llvm-3.0 to uninstall.

sudo port install llvm-3.3
sudo port install octave-local

This gave an error on GraphicsMagick:

--->  Activating jasper @1.900.1_10
--->  Cleaning jasper
Error: Requested variants "+q8" do not match original selection "+q32".
Please use the same variants again, perform 'port clean GraphicsMagick' or
specify the force option (-f).
Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
Error: Unable to execute port: upgrade GraphicsMagick failed

So I tried the "port clean GraphicsMagick" request, then the GraphicsMagick
install command below.

> In the meanwhile I managed to upgrade to Mavericks myself and I found out that
> in order for octave-local to work you have to also do
>
>  sudo port install  GraphicsMagick +q32 configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.7

I tried that first, and it failed:

eve-m:ece231 daryl$ sudo port install  GraphicsMagick +q32
configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.7
Error: port lookup failed: too many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
Error: Unable to execute port: upgrade xz failed

I tried it again after installing llvm-3.3, and got the same error.

> or building octave-local will fail.
> also I noticed this bug:
>
>  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40545
>
> which will cause a freeze when you try to open the preferences dialog.
>
> c.

Once upon a time when all I knew was Windows 3.1, we had an expression: "DLL
hell".  I think I am now in "dependency hell".  Is it reasonable or even
possible, to remove all macports and start with a clean slate?  I don't have
any "mission critical" software that would render such an action fatal to me.

--
Daryl Lee
Amateurs train until they get it right; professionals train until they can't