Re: Binary packages for 3.8

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Binary packages for 3.8
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:01:50 -0400

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 7:59 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
On Oct 25, 2013, at 7:54 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2013, at 3:59 AM, c. wrote:
>
>> On 25 Oct 2013, at 04:14, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> You are correct, it does not run on Lion (MacOS 10.7.5).
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Ben,
>>
>> That was unfortunately expected.
>> I'd be curious to try see whether that can be fixed a posteriori.
>> Could you try running the Octave binary in the bundle from the
>> command line to see whether you get any informative error message?
>>
>> I would try both
>>
>> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Octave      # use the startup script in the bundle
>
> cd /Applications/Octave.app/Contents
> ./Octave
> Segmentation fault: 11
>
>> and
>>
>> /Applications/Octave.app/Resources/bin/octave # run the binary directly
>
> cd /Applications/Octave.app/Resources/bin
> ./octave
> Segmentation fault: 11
>
> Ben

BTW, MacOS 10.9 has a new ABI.  My understanding is that Fink will be providing new binaries for Mavericks ... I assume the same will be true for macports(?)  Perhaps we should consider different bundles for each version of MacOS X we're going to support?

Ben

It seems to be running well (other than the pager and other issues that have been previously discussed) on a mid-2009 Macbook Pro running Mavericks. I couldn't get it to start at all after first copying it to the Applications directory. However, I ran it manually from the Resource/bin subdirectory of the .app bundle from the command line to try to figure out why and it started right up. I can now subsequently run it fine by opening the .app file without resorting to the terminal.