Re: GUi won't start

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: GUi won't start
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 23:41:59 +0200

c. wrote:

On 11 Oct 2013, at 22:13, "John W. Eaton"<address@hidden>  wrote:

OK, that's good to know.  But I'm still not sure whether it is really best to
use a full web browser to display the community news text.  For our purposes,
using a simple text object like QLabel will probably be just as good and not
add more unnecessary bloat.

jwe

while it is definitely too much for just the community news text,
it would be good to use html rendering for the help browser which would
allow displaying demo images and formulas in the docs ...

Good idea. But there are counter arguments:

I think for such functionality, Octave could invoke the locally installed default web browser as well. Once started that way, the user can even bookmark the help file itself and doesn't strictly need Octave anymore to peruse the manuals. Better yet, the user can easily add various bookmarks into the help docs, and it would save Octave devs the hassle of implementing bookmarks in Octave's Qt-WebKit panes.

Several Windows installers added the html (& pdf) docs to the Start Menu, that way I got used to reading up on Octave tru my browser. I find that very convenient.

I do not think that should be a goal for the 3.8 release though.

There's enough to do, sure. Depends on how much work it is and how intrusive the required patches would be.

Philip