Re: Building/installing Octave as a non-administrator on a sudo system

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Building/installing Octave as a non-administrator on a sudo system
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 20:32:30 -0400

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 12:05:09 -0500, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> I'm curious how many developers have attempted building and install Octave
> as a non-administrator on a system with sudo.  A non-administrator is
> someone who does not have privilege to run "sudo".  I might guess it is few,
> as most people on this list are the admin type who automatically opt for
> sys-admin status given the chance.

I do this regularly. If I have no admin privileges whatsoever, I
install into my home directory. Even on my home machines where I do
have admin privileges, I simply make a directory /opt/gnu/octave as
root, chown it to be owned by my user account, and then install into
there.

Specifically, all I have to do is

  ../configure --prefix=/opt/gnu/octave
  make
  make install

and set up my PATH to include /opt/gnu/octave/bin. Or set prefix to $HOME

  ../configure --prefix=$HOME

and add $HOME/bin to the PATH, which I think may already be done for
you by default for some distros.

--
mike