Re: MXE Octave: "... has no symbols" warning under Mac OS X

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: MXE Octave: "... has no symbols" warning under Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:19:09 -0400

On Sep 23, 2013, at 8:59 AM, c. wrote:

> On 23 Sep 2013, at 14:29, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> We could create a bungle via macports alone, but it would include
>> build/runtime dependencies of dependencies of dependencies ... resulting in
>> about 1GB for a bundle.  The bigger concern (for me) is that we may end up
>> bundling non-GPL stuff and be unaware of it.
>>
>> Ben
>
> I agree with your concern, but it should be easy to check license of every
> recursive dependency of Octave.
> I think that could be done via something like:
>
> port info --name --license rdepof:octave
>
> if I'm not mistaken this should produce a list of all dependencies and
> dependencies of dependencies with the corresponding license.
>
> c.

METIS, pdflib, and gnuplot show up with licenses labeled as "Restrictive".

There are other licenses I'm not familiar with (Apache, APSL, etc)  The list is
attached.

Another concern, is that Macports could make changes to their code that would
break our ability to create a bundle.  The macports command I'm using to
extract Octave and all it dependencies is ...

        sudo port mdmg octave-devel ...

This is a rather fragile command.  Even when it works, I often encounter
esoteric problems that need some debugging in order to produce the desired dmg.
 There was a period of about a year when I was unable to run the command
successfully.  I'm not sure if the problem was on my end or with Macports, but
I did succeed again after Macports bumped up to the latest version.  At the
same time, I uninstalled a lot of variants of various packages.  Thus, I have
no idea which of these changes allowed me to complete the mdmg command.

Ben