X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 12:16:10 -0400

I've been trying to use the mxe-octave build system to build an Octave
binary for a RHEL 5.8 system (actually using CentOS 5.8, but it should
be binary compatible, right?) and Octave generates the following
errors in the terminal window when it starts:

  X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
    Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
    Resource id:  0x0

and also when opening the Edit, File, etc. menus for the first time.

The fonts for the Qt Windows are also some huge bold font and I'm not
sure why (no other applications on the CentOS system seem to use the
font that Octave is getting).  So I thought the X error might be font
related, but when I added

  QFont newFont ("Monospace");
  QApplication::setFont (newFont);

the font for Octave's menus and labels changed, but I still saw the errors.

If anyone else is seeing errors like this or knows how to debug this
kind of problem I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks,