RE: project progress

From: marco Vassallo
Subject: RE: project progress
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 08:53:41 +0200

> Hi Marco,
>
> I've been following your latest commits to the repository, I think you made enough changes to the package
> since your latest post to warrant a new one.

Hi,

http://gedeone-gsoc.blogspot.it/2013/09/update-14.html

> In particular you should be giving detailed descriptions of the examples you prepared, ideally showing
> side-by-side the python and Octave implementation.
>
> You should also start preparing your package for release, I'd suggest you make a release quite soon so
> you start getting feedback.

I was just wondering how I should rename the functions which are available also inside Octave.
For example, I have my own functions eval() and plot(). For the moment they are just called fem_plot, fem_eval and so on. How should I call them?

> Finally I'm still concerned about the SparseMatrix allocation issue, the approach you are using now, though better
> than allocating a full matrix, is still suboptimal as the many array resize operations make it extremely slow
> and memory consuming.
>
> I think you should insist more with the Fenics guys to get this function improved, if aeverything else fails we
> should patch dolfin to add the missing nnz method to the GenericMatrix class. How is the feature implemented in python?

I've created a new issue here

https://bitbucket.org/fenics-project/dolfin/issue/110/number-of-non-zero-entries-of-a-matrix

Thanks,

Marco