Re: debug display options

From: Rik
Subject: Re: debug display options
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 08:49:12 -0700

On 08/27/2013 04:58 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 14:35:31 -0500
> From: Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden>
> To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Is a debug "silent" option desirable?
>
> I don't see any type of option for controlling the text that is
> displayed by dbstep (either as an option to dbstep() or via separate
> function such as dbopt()).  With the GUI and its markers and hot-keys in
> the editor, the verbose text in the command window, such as:
It's true, it might be nice to be able to control the debug verbosity.  But
one doesn't usually spend a lot of time in the debugger so my desire to see
this feature implemented, over others, is pretty low; It just doesn't rise
to the level of major irritant for me.
> stopped in
> /usr/local/src/octave/octave/build-gui-12/../octave/scripts/testfun/assert.m
> at line 102
> 102:     if (ischar (expected))
> debug>
> stopped in
> /usr/local/src/octave/octave/build-gui-12/../octave/scripts/testfun/assert.m
> at line 120
> 120:     elseif (iscell (expected))
> debug>
> stopped in
> /usr/local/src/octave/octave/build-gui-12/../octave/scripts/testfun/assert.m
> at line 146
> 146:     elseif (isstruct (expected))
> debug>
> etc.
>
> seems sort of redundant.  There is this function "dbwhere" which creates
> the same text as above.  If in debug mode the text is always displayed
> at the command line, the function "dbwhere" probably doesn't find much
> use.  Also, wasn't it on the Octave list where there was discussion of a
> debug feature that allowed showing more lines of text around the current
> position in the file?
Yes, I added a function called dblist which lists the current line and +/-5
lines.  It's still not perfect because it has problems with subfunctions
and private functions.  But it's been workable enough for me that I haven't
done anything more.
>   With that feature, and not having the GUI, the
> user could probably use the command line interface without requiring the
> line of code be displayed with each "dbstep".
I use dbwhere all the time.  Once I get to a failing line I start examining
variables, running snippets of code, and pretty soon the original
breakpoint line has scrolled off the screen entirely and I use 'dbwhere' to
find out where I am again.

--Rik