Re: dataframe implementation

From: Rik
Subject: Re: dataframe implementation
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 12:14:10 -0700

> Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:41:18 -0400
> From: Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
> To: Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>
> Subject: dataset objects?
>
> I just had someone ask me about dataset objects in Matlab. I didn't
> know about them at all. They seem to be very similar to R's dataframes
> and to our own implementation of dataframes.
>
> At a glance, they don't seem that difficult to implement, but they do
> seem to be a newish Matlab type (at least from 2009). Should we wait
> for classdef to implement them, or shall we do them with old-style
> classes, or should we bake them in as a new octave_value?

8/16/13

Jordi,

You might take a look at http://abandonmatlab.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/matlab-cant-read-plain-text-data-out-of-a-wet-paper-bag/ for a good take on the limited way in which Matlab handles data structures.  I think we could do a lot to make data analysis easier with work in this area.  In particular, I think both R and Python have good ideas in this regard.

--Rik