Re: extra head

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: extra head
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:12:07 -0400

On Aug 16, 2013, at 9:11 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 16 August 2013 01:15, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 08/15/2013 04:49 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>> Rik / Jordi,
>>>
>>> After pushing, I noticed there is an extra head with no tag or bookmark.  I
>>> recall Jordi mentioned this is easily fixed, but I don't recall how.
>>>
>>> $ hg heads
>>> changeset:   17260:92effb035b97
>>> bookmark:    @
>>> tag:         tip
>>> parent:      17254:7fb4461997aa
>>> user:        Ben Abbott  <address@hidden>
>>> date:        Thu Aug 15 19:39:55 2013 -0400
>>> summary:     Update axes position/outerpostion before and after tightinset.
>>>
>>> changeset:   17259:a654c1eccd29
>>> user:        Stefan Mahr <address@hidden>
>>> date:        Thu Aug 15 14:38:01 2013 +0200
>>> summary:     doc: Modify chapter 'continuation lines' to fit actual
>>> behaviour
>>>
>>> changeset:   17112:eff3d78367f0
>>> branch:      stable
>>> parent:      17108:2c76db746701
>>> user:        Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
>>> date:        Tue Jul 30 13:20:58 2013 -0400
>>> summary:     * Makefile.am (doxyhtml): Restore doxyhtml argument in
>>> recursive make call
>>>
>>> changeset:   16896:498b2dd1bd56
>>> branch:      classdef
>>> parent:      16698:13b3b92ea99c
>>> parent:      16895:b8c37a855074
>>> user:        John W. Eaton <address@hidden>
>>> date:        Thu Jul 04 10:09:58 2013 -0400
>>> summary:     periodic merge of default to classdef
>>>

>> Jordi might have a better solution but I just merged your head onto the
>> development branch to get rid of it.
>

> This is the correct solution.
>
> However, Ben, how did you manage to push an extra head? Typically "hg
> push" will not allow you to do this unless you do --force.
>
> At any rate, extra heads are not a big problem.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

I have a shell script I used to (1) import, (2) push, (3) rollback, and (4)
pull changesets.  The pertinent part is below.

hg pull
hg update -C @
hg import changeset.patch
hg outgoing
hg push ssh://address@hidden/octave
hg rollback
hg revert --all
hg pull
hg update -C @

I'd adopted this approach with the intent of keeping a clean copy of the
savannah archive local on my machine.

Since I've been using this consistently, I'm surprised a problem showed up now.

In any event, I've attached the "changeset.patch" I used.  I'm curious what I
did wrong (so I can avoid it) and need instructions on how to fix the current
problem (I won't be able to push anything until late today or tomorrow, so if
it is urgent ... someone else may need to fix this).

Ben