Re: Languages files for the gui

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: Languages files for the gui
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 06:49:10 +0200

On 27.06.2013 22:44, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
> Torsten wrote:
>> On 25.06.2013 23:02, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>>> In addition I found that several English phrases in the GUI aren't
>>> mentioned in the .ts file. I've added what Ifoundbelow.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Philip
>>>
>>> ========missing text=========
>>>
>>> ==================
>>> Preferences widget
>>> ==================
>>> Cancel (on button)
>>
>> For nl_NL all qt-elements in the dialogs are in English whereas other
>> languages are recognized by qt. Checking the directory
>> /usr/share/qt4/translations
>> I found out that there is no dutch translation for qt!
>>
>>> Editor styles tab
>>> -----------------
>>> Default, Comment, Command, Number, Keyword, Single-quted string,
>>> Operator, Identifier, Double-quoted string
>>
>> In /usr/share/qt4/translations I also discovered a few translation files
>> for Qscintilla (cs,de,es,fr,pt_br and ru). I therefore also added a
>> QTranslator to the gui which tries to load the appropriate qsci language
>> file.
>> Changeset: http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/cd29604214c5
>>
>>> Terminal tab
>>> ------------
>>> Cursor type
>>
>> "Translation" is correctly checked for this label ("Cursor type:") in
>> settings-dialog.ui and it can be found in the file nl_NL.ts.
>
> I think I meant this only as the "block" inside which the stuff below is
> found. I'll have a look.
>
>>> IBeam cursor, Block cursor, Underline cursor
>>
>> Confirmed, updated in the sources.
>> Changeset: http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/54c370a00a4a
>>

>>> Terminal tab
>>> ------------
>>> Terminal colors
>>> foreground, background, selection, cursor
>>
>> Confirmed, those will be updated in the language files.
>>
>>> Workspace tab
>>> -------------
>>> automatic, function, global, hidden, inherited, persistent
>>
>> These already are included in the language files.
>>
>>> ============
>>> File browser
>>> ============
>>> Name, Size, Type, Date modified
>>
>> Like for the qt-dialog elements there is no dutch translation for these
>> qt-strings
>>
>>> ======
>>> Editor
>>> ======
>>> right click on code:
>>> Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, Select all
>>
>> These are now (cset cd29604214c5) translated if the Qscintilla
>> translation file is found.
>>
>> This leads to the question what we should do with the Qscintilla
>> translations for languages not supported by Qscintilla itself. I suggest
>> to add the relevant Qscintilla source files while scanning all sources
>> for text strings that have to be translated. There are altogether 108
> [...]

Well, not as much work as translating all these expressions; the source
scan is done by the qt tool "lupdate".

For the nl_NL.ts file: Please push your translated file and I will
update it with the Qscintilla strings (since there is no dutch
translation file for Qscintilla). After that, it would be nice if you
could translate the new text strings (IMHO the context menu is more
important than the style descriptions).
Then, the editor's context menu (and the descriptions of the editor
styles in the settings dialog) should show up in dutch.

There is still no solution for the english texts on the dialog buttons.
I will have a look if I can identify a single (or a few) qt source
file(s) where "lupdate" can find these text strings.

Torsten