Re: New recruit!

From: c.
Subject: Re: New recruit!
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 11:31:13 +0200

On 24 Jun 2013, at 18:32, Pascal Dupuis <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Richard,
>
> A place where I find Octave could be better is about high-precision
> arithmetic. Currently, a matrix is considered as badly scaled if its
> condition number is smaller than 10^16; with some kind of simulations
> this is a limiting factor.
>
> There are a number of higher precision libs: Gnu MPL, ARPREC, MPACK, ...
>
> Supporting higher precision means
> 1) choosing some lib
> 2) integrating it smoothly inside Octave
> 3) make either a new octave type, either a new octave class available
> in order to support it
> 4) imagine how to bind this new type with the octave core functions,
> in particular the fortran libs
>
> Regards
>
> Pascal

Pascal,

I don't think it would make sense to integrate this into core Octave but it
does seem a
great plan for an Octave-Forge package.
And it could be a nice project for a Summer of Code student, in case we get
accepted by SoCIS [1].
Would you mind adding this idea in the project ideas page of the wiki listing
yourself as a possible mentor?

Thanks,
c.

[1] http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2013/