GSoC project about binary packaging

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: GSoC project about binary packaging
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:44:52 -0400

Hi all,

I've a student who's supposed to work on improving/completing binary packaging of octave on Windows and OS X during the next 2 months. However, I can see that there are already 3 to 4 people actively working on MXE. MXE/octave seems to already work for MinGW cross and native, as well as native Linux. So I'm a bit concerned that there won't be much left to do for the student.

So I'd like you to help define clear goals for this project in order to avoid stepping on each other's toes. For instance, I had listed adding support for OpenBLAS as a possible goal for him, but I saw today it had been added to MXE yesterday.

Basically, what's left at the moment?
- writing a NSI installer that's a bit smarter than "dump everything"; it should also support smart reinstallation and package addition (as in: re-run the installer to install additional components, which were not selected previously)
- missing octave-forge packages + dependencies
- OS X
(feel free the extend the list)

For OS X, I'd like some input from OS X users to assess what's doable. For instance, is it possible to integrate installer building inside MXE (for instance using some native OS X compilation)? I also remember a recent mail from Ben mentioning some new efforts in MacPorts to get octave compiled on OS X.

At the end of the day, I hope there will be enough work to be done to make a GSoC project.

Thanks,
Michael.