Some basic hg tips to improve usability

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Some basic hg tips to improve usability
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:03:41 -0400

Now that I'm seeing a batch of GSoC students get acquainted with hg, I
would like to offer a few tips.

Mercurial has a few extensions that really should always be enabled
but in reality aren't due to a number of factors (mostly because they
don't work in all terminal types, particularly not in cmd.exe).

I recommend everyone to add the following to their ~/.hgrc

    [extensions]
    graphlog=
    color=
    progress=
    pager=

For the colour extension, you might want to modify the default
colours and underlining for "hg status":

    [color]
    status.modified = magenta bold
    status.added = green bold
    status.removed = red bold
    status.deleted = cyan bold
    status.unknown = black  bold
    status.ignored = black bold

Sometimes, rarely, you may need a few further improvements for the
pager extension. I recommend you don't enable these unless you feel
like paging isn't working correctly:

    [pager]
    # Some options for the less pager, see less(1) for their meaning.
    pager = LESS='FSRX' less

    # Some commands that aren't paged by default; also enable paging
    # for them
    attend = tags, help, annotate, cat, diff, export, status, \
             outgoing, incoming

You should immediately notice a difference when using CLI hg when you
enable these. Of these options, the only one that enables a new
command is graphlog. I recommend you get in the habit of doing "hg
glog" instead of "hg log" so you can get a better feel for what your
commits are being based on.

- Jordi G. H.