Re: Moving to Octave Forge to mercurial

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Moving to Octave Forge to mercurial
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:53:31 +0100

On 13 June 2013 17:44, marco atzeri <address@hidden> wrote:
> Il 6/13/2013 6:30 PM, Carnė Draug ha scritto:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm thinking of moving the multiple packages we currently have in
>> Octave Forge to individual mercurial repositories. Does anyone have
>> any opinion on the subject or would oppose to it?
>>
>> Carnė
>>

> in general, I do not like ~90 individual repositories;
> overall maintance for common modifications will be a pain
>
> Marco

I would agree with that. But the idea is that most developers would
only have a handful of repos on their system, not all 90. Plus, this
would make it easier to later move some out of Octave Forge into
Agora, and move Octave Forge somewhere else. It's not what's will
happen now. I used to think this things should be done with a single
big large move. I am no longer of that opinion.

It would also make it easier for me and reduce the number of people
with commit access. People could just ask for pull requests, or submit
changesets to package maintainers. And I grep the whole history of the
repo way too often, looking for the history of stuff. Mercurial is
much much faster for that.

Carnë