Re: Vector Projection .m file

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Vector Projection .m file
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:25:48 -0400

On 12 June 2013 16:11, Erickson, David <address@hidden> wrote:
> Here is a vector projection .m file to compute the projection of x
> onto y.

Thanks. I don't mean to diminish the impact of your contribution, but
it is a fairly uncomplicated function, with no direct counterpart in
Matlab. The problem I see is that this doesn't add a whole lot of
value to Octave but raises our maintenance cost.

     Thus spake the master programmer,

          "Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will
          have to be maintained."[1]

I do not want to be perceived as a cynical ogre, however. If someone
else truly values this contribution, we can incorporate it. Ideally,
this would go into our Agora website where minor user contributions
can go, but Agora isn't quite ready for this yet.[2]

> As it is derivative of your source code, it is returned to you under
> GPL 3.

I kind of want to incorporate this into our source code just so that
we may add The Queen of Canada to our list of contributors. :-)

- Jordi G. H.

[1] http://www.canonical.org/~kragen/tao-of-programming.html#book5
[2] We have a GSoC student this summer helping us with it, hello
    Ahsan!.