RE: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re: mxe-install

From: John D
Subject: RE: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re: mxe-installer try 2]
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 19:30:12 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: John W. Eaton [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2013 4:11 PM
To: John D
Cc: address@hidden; 'Clemens Buchacher'; 'Philip Nienhuis'
Subject: Re: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re:
mxe-installer try 2]

On 06/09/2013 03:01 PM, John D wrote:
> Ok - I will see how latest works for me as well.
>
> I have a patch for freetdl I will apply if it is still relevant - If
> so, I will push that.
>
> So far the things not working for me right now for a native mingw
> build (that I know of):
> Qrupdate tar issues???
> Postgresql - wont compile - issues mainly with not finding zlib and
> and others - I will try againt later as I have a feeling it is
> something obvious I am missing.
> Qt - I haven't tried for a while though, so will retry Octave

I've pushed some more changes and I'm building Octave (configure succeeded
and it is compiling now) but without Qt.

I also noticed that you made some recent changes to disable shared libraries
for a few packages when doing a native mingw build.  If we can build shared
libraries for the cross build, what is the trouble with the native build?

jwe

I think the only one I changed so that it compiled statically only was
ncurses, which from memory displayed an error  saying it couldn't compile as
a shared, and I couldn't get it to  work except as a static lib.
If you can get it to work, then go for it!

I did add installs of  static libs for a couple of the libraries that only
installed the dynamic library (or nothing)

Did you have any problems with qrupdate and tar?
I have found a workaround for  it, to use cpio instead of tar for the ming
build if we need to ogo that route.