Re: Gui editor settings on MacOS X

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Gui editor settings on MacOS X
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 18:51:21 +0800

On Jun 9, 2013, at 6:22 PM, Torsten wrote:

> On 09.06.2013 11:52, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> In MacOS X, I also see some differences in the right margins
>>> depending upon how many widgets an object is embedded in.
>>> Unfortunately the variance in right margin doesn't show up in the
>>> preview for MacOS X.  Which makes me wonder if there are also
>>> variances between the preview and what is actually rendered for
>>> other platforms.
>>>
>>> In any event, I'll try to construct a clean layout for MacOS X, and
>>> email it to you to check in Ubuntu.  Meanwhile, feel free to email
>>> me a layout to test in MacOS X.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> The attached looks very nice on MacOS X, but I have to change the
>> layoutSpacing of verticalLayout_11 from 10 to -1 to get the same
>> result in the preview for MacOSX, Windows, and Motif/etc.  Iv'e
>> attached the previews I see for a layoutSpacing of 10.
>
> To my flavor, the spacings are too big in ubuntu.
>
> Torsten
> <editor-dialog-bpa2.png>

Ok.  My focus has been on the consistency of spacing.  For example, the
vertical spacing between the first two check boxes is not the same as between 2
& 3, and 3 & 4.

My preference is to be agnostic about taste and go with a setting of -1 for
spacing.  That introduces variances between MacOS X and the others, whose
esthetic impact I hope can be minimized.

In any event, I modified your v2 by deleting an unused widget (a
hortizontalLayout_4 I think) and modified the verticalLayoutSpacing of
editor_common_settings_grid from 0 to -1 to provide a consistent spacing
between the top four check boxes.

The last two check boxes don't have the same right margins on MacOS X (as
compared to the first four) due to the first four being embedded in an extra
widget.  That is resolved by embedding the last two one additional level (a
clumsy solution, but I don't know of another way to fix it).

The rendered result on MacOS X still have a variance in the spacing between the
2nd and 3rd check box (tighter than between 1st & 2nd and 3rd & 4th), but as
this is a bug is barely noticeable, I think it is ok.  The right margins for
all check boxes are consistent for all previews (please confirm on Ubuntu) and
looks good on MacOS X as well.

Ben

PNG image

PNG image