Re: Java support in MXE build

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Java support in MXE build
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 11:18:10 -0700 (PDT)

Michael Goffioul wrote
> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso <

> jordigh@

>> wrote:
>
>> On 15 May 2013 18:50, Michael Goffioul &lt;

> michael.goffioul@

> &gt; wrote:
>> > I wouldn't distribute our own JVM. Expecting the user to install Java
>> is
>> > reasonable IMO.
>>
>> Doesn't Matlab distribute their own JVM?
>>

> They used to, not sure if they still doing it. But that's not a reason to
> duplicate that behavior. This is the kind of things I find very irritating
> under Windows. Every single program installs its own version of support
> libraries and you end up with a cluttered system with duplicated files
> (and
> different versions) spread all over the place.
>
> In my previous life, the fact that Matlab had its own JVM was more a
> problem than anything. I needed to integrate with some other Java
> libraries, but the Matlab JVM was just too old and it didn't work.

Not only too old a JVM (actually JRE); in addition Matlab installed heaps of
sometimes outdated .jar files (Java class libs) for its own GUI, even so
many that you couldn't load much more because the permanent heap space
(permgenspace) would get exhausted.

Moreover, replacing one of those outdated .jar files with a newer version
that I needed would sometimes sink the entire Matlab GUI....

Philip