Re: Detaching from terminal and keyboard input for GUI

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Detaching from terminal and keyboard input for GUI
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 09:05:53 +0800

On May 14, 2013, at 7:11 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 05/06/2013 07:06 PM, Michael Goffioul wrote:
>
>> As a result of the change above, I suspect octave is not forked anymore,
>> the terminal where you started it stays the controlling terminal; hence
>> CTRL-C in that terminal as sent directly to octave as SIGINT. CTRL-O
>> does not correspond to any signal, so nothing happens.
>>
>> Does CTRL-O work when you focus another widget than the embedded
>> terminal widget?
>
> No, I don't think it was working properly.
>
> Ben, what is the behavior on OS X systems?  Do the keyboard shortcuts work?
>
> I can go back to forking and calling setsid on Unix systems and just
> using the ioctl call on OS X.
>
> Then I think the parent process needs to handle signals so that SIGINT
> doesn't kill the parent process and leave the child running.  So what
> should that behavior be?  If SIGINT is sent to the parent, what signal
> (if any) should it send to the child?
>
> jwe

I'm able to copy and paste using SHIFT-CMD-C & shift+cmd+v (Normal OSX keys are
CMD-C & CMD-V). The "find files" also works for me, SHIFT-CMD-F.

When I attempt "ls" in a directly with enough files to trigger the pager and
its "-- less -- (f)orward, (b)ack, (q)uit", the command line becomes
unresponsive.

CTRL-C doesn't work for me either.  I'm also unable to use the arrow keys to
browse through the command history.

I assume that means readline is'nt functioning.

The CMD-O works (which is normal mapping on OS X, i.e. not "SHIFT-CMD-O")

Ben

p.s. I haven't been following this closely, so ask away if I've missed or
misunderstood something.