dlmread / matrix mem consumption

From: Levente Torok
Subject: dlmread / matrix mem consumption
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 19:30:04 +0100

Hi All,

I am dealing with large data set for this reason I had to see how much
it can be loaded for digesting.
I used dlmread since data comes from a csv.

The memory consumption of a 1M x 22 table  is stored rougly in 200MB
which means roughly 9..10 Bytes / double.
During the load it went up temporarily to 410MByte which means which
is a 2x overhead.

But loading a 10M x 22 table required 8GB during the load and dropped
back to 3.4 GBytes.
This drop is similar to the one above but for storing a double it eats
16..17 Bytes.

Can anybody tell me why this is happening?

Is there a way of reducing excessive mem. consumption during dlmread()?

Thanks,

Lev