Re: Using FreedomSponsors or Bountysource for Octave

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Using FreedomSponsors or Bountysource for Octave
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 22:43:34 +0200

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
On 5 April 2013 15:13, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> These two services seem to be maturing. I don't know which one is
>> better, but both seem active, and I am starting to feel hopeful for
>> both:
>>
>>     http://www.freedomsponsors.org
>>     https://www.bountysource.com/
>>
>> Are any of you interested? I hope that by using something like this we
>> can actually raise significant amounts of money for specific projects,
>> features, or bugfixes.
>

> I am definitely interested!
> What do you have in mind?

Well, my idea is that we can start by offering things for "sale". On
FreedomSponsors, this is done by the "propose" button. First we create
a bug, perhaps with wishlist priority on Savannah, then we put
"propose" on FreedomSponsors with the url of the bug. Then we need to
start advertising that we're willing to fix it. We can also do this
for existing bugs.

The method is similar for Bountysource.

So the real thing we need to do is agree to use one or the other (I am
kinda liking FreedomSponsors more) and, well, just do it... Start
telling people that we're using it. I don't know what kind of money we
can raise this way. The existing bounties I see are all very small.
Perhaps we can actually get somewhere with this if we start using it
more.

- Jordi G. H.

Sounds good,

Now, where will the money go and how you will prevent problems in the distribution of it? I know this is a minor issue at the monet since there is no money at all :P, but I think making this clear from the begging may avoid problems.

Also, I probably will be most helpful as a promoter/disseminator than an actual coder (though eventually I may be able to help). Do you have an idea how to capture interested sponsors? Of course we use the G+ page, but I was wondering how to aim to the big companies/organizations using GNU Octave. I am sure they have needs...