Re: Tab-completion inconsistencies

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Tab-completion inconsistencies
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 13:47:45 -0600

On 03/07/2013 01:36 PM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
On 7 March 2013 14:30, Daniel J Sebald<address@hidden>  wrote:
In trying the example Rik sent, I created a directory with a comma in the
name, something valid in linux and probably elsewhere.

Linux doesn't parse commands. It's just a kernel. It's GNU bash that
is parsing your commands. Incidentally, GNU bash is where jwe
originally grabbed the code for Octave's own parser.

Yes, the shell. My bad. BTW, is there any such tab-completion on Windows systems, or Windows emulators, and other sorted Windows menagerie?

At the Octave command line I used tab-completion to get the line of
text that normally appears at the linux command line. However,
Octave doesn't handle that line the same way that linux does. It
might be nice for code to behave at the Octave command line the same
way it does at the linux command line.

Yeah, this is an open problem:

     https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?7584

It is, incidentally, a difficult problem. The solution isn't easy.

OK, I see it.  That one didn't seem to go too far.  :-)

Should I attach the examples to that patch, or should we close that and just open a bug report? Or maybe just put this on a "to-do" list somewhere. I realize it isn't any easy problem, but it is worthwhile trying to solve it because having a non-functional tab-complete or one that produces something for which the back-arrow is needed to place an apostrophe in front hampers productivity in a cumulative way.

Dan