Re: How to compile e.g., tip in MXE

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: How to compile e.g., tip in MXE
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 17:20:17 -0500

On 03/01/2013 01:53 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

However I'd like to try to build a "tip" (or recent version) of the default
branch. That failed, as no matter what I tried I consistently got the 3.7.2
snapshot you made a while ago - it is downloaded quite autonomously by some
other command in the MXE tree.
I couldn't find where that download is initiated so that I could circumvent
it for octave itself. Grepping for "[download]" (one of the repeated
messages during an MXE build) didn't help me.

(I made a "snapshot" by hg-cloning the default octave branch, doing a
./bootstrap inside, and tar/zipping it. Maybe naive, but it is just a start)

Make a regular distribution tarball with "make dist". Then do the same for this new version as you did for 3.6.4.

I don't have a shortcut for building from hg yet. If you decide to do something along those lines instead it would be great if you would share your changes.

The rules that perform the download steps for MXE are in the top-level Makefile. Search for WGET.