Re: merging stable to default fails

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: merging stable to default fails
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 01:31:46 -0600

On 01/11/2013 09:27 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
When trying to merge stable to default I see the following error from
hg:

   $ hg merge stable
   abort: path contains illegal component: /OctJavaQry.class

Any clues?  Rik added the binary file OctJavaQry.class to the hg
archive, but I have no clue how that could cause the error above.

jwe

Not much, other than I notice that the manner in which hg data is stored makes special treatment of capital letters, i.e., a capital letter is represented as _o instead of O. So, in this case:

[sebal .hg]$ ls store/data/build-aux/*ava*
store/data/build-aux/_oct_java_qry.class.i
store/data/build-aux/_oct_java_qry.java.i

With that in mind, I wonder if there is an "OctJavaQry.class" in the database somewhere...and there might be:

address@hidden .hg]$ grep Java */*
store/fncache:data/build-aux/OctJavaQry.java.i
store/fncache:data/build-aux/OctJavaQry.class.i

Perhaps Mercurial believes

   store/fncache:data/build-aux/OctJavaQry.java.i

is illegal because it should be

   store/fncache:data/build-aux/_oct_java_qry.java.i

inside of "store/fncache".

If this is the case, how this came about, I can only guess. Perhaps this is a Windows/others issue because of DOS ignoring case or something? Maybe the Mercurial settings on Rik's machine are different than yours? (guessing!) Might there be a command line switch controlling how upper case letters are treated in the database?

Dan