Re: gnulib warnings when compiling Faddeeva.cc

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: gnulib warnings when compiling Faddeeva.cc
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:45:48 -0500

On 12/13/12 2:52 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
The only difference between the GNUlib version and the libc version,
according to this (and only on an ancient OSF version of Unix), is how it
treats a -0 argument.  This is irrelevant to the Faddeeva code.

Why, the Faddeeva functions will never receive a negative zero input?

No, because floor is only called in cases where (a) the inputs to floor are positive and (b) the sign of zero doesn't matter in the context where floor is called in Faddeeva::w.

(floor is called to determine the number of iterations in a couple of loops for certain ranges of the user arguments.)

So, the warning about "::floor" here is innocuous; my inclination is to
ignore it, if that's okay with you.

I don't see a reason to not perform the replacement, but I think it
can be done without touching your code.

How?

(I already have a fix for the copysign problem as I mentioned above.)