Re: gnulib warnings when compiling Faddeeva.cc

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: gnulib warnings when compiling Faddeeva.cc
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:52:59 -0500

On 13 December 2012 14:46, Steven G. Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/9/12 1:52 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>
>> The purpose of gnulib is to provide compatibility functions across
>> platforms. More than 20 years after the C standard was first
>> published, and we still can't agree on what "floor" is supposed to do
>> and where it's supposed to be available, I guess.
>>
>>      http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/floor.html#floor
>

> The only difference between the GNUlib version and the libc version,
> according to this (and only on an ancient OSF version of Unix), is how it
> treats a -0 argument.  This is irrelevant to the Faddeeva code.

Why, the Faddeeva functions will never receive a negative zero input?

> So, the warning about "::floor" here is innocuous; my inclination is to
> ignore it, if that's okay with you.

I don't see a reason to not perform the replacement, but I think it
can be done without touching your code. We can also use copysign,
which seems missing in some platforms:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/copysign.html

- Jordi G. H.