Re: Coursera: about Octave

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: Coursera: about Octave
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:07:12 -0500

On 12/13/2012 01:39 PM, c. wrote:
On 13 Dec 2012, at 19:31, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:

> That is a bit tough.  The students come from all over.  And, if they are taking
> machine learning, for example, that is what they should focus on.  Maybe there is,
> or will be, a course on "computer skills."  Also, other Coursera courses that have
> even less to do with fancy computer skills may want to use Octave...
>
> So, I agree, a .dmg is a good idea.
>
> Michael
My point was actually about how easy it actually is to install and use MacPorts for users with even just the bare minimum computer literacy.
I did not want in any way to discourage anyone who wants to take the effort to prepare an OSX installer and keep it up to date, indeed I am actually vailable to help
( as soon as I get my macbook repaired that is :( ).
c.

This is all true, except for some time ago I had trouble with MacPorts.  Probably better now.
Anyhow, doing what the Coursera people think is best sounds right to me.  They know
the needs and skills of their students best and they get to deal with the problems.

Michael