Re: icons of floating widgets in gui

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: icons of floating widgets in gui
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 03:26:12 -0600

On 11/24/2012 06:42 AM, Torsten wrote:
On 23.11.2012 21:05, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 11/23/2012 01:48 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 11/23/2012 01:07 PM, Torsten wrote:
On 30.10.2012 21:34, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 10/30/2012 03:01 PM, Torsten wrote:
On 30.10.2012 20:19, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 10/30/2012 02:05 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

OK. Nice! No wonder I had no idea what you were talking about in
your
initial post. I guess I personally would sort of like different
icons
for the editor, etc. because otherwise it looks like multiple
copies of
octave in the workspace bar at the bottom of the screen. Can the
icon be
altered slightly so that one still associates it with Octave but can
still tell it isn't the main window?

But I'm not sure about a completely different icon, as in the case of
the terminal window that you pointed out. That could get to be too
much
and confused with similar icons from different applications. Instead,
could the Octave icon be used as a backdrop and then maybe put a
letter
on top in black or green like 'e' for editor, 'w' for workspace,
'c' for
command window, 'd' for directory window?

Some other idea?

Dan

The terminal icon is the one used so far. The patch mentioned
changes it
to the octave logo in order to associate it clearly with octave.

Concerning the new icons I thought of the octave logo with some
kind of
mini logo in the lower right corner. Are there some copyrights on the
original logo or is it allowed to post an altered icons as suggestion?

Torsten

That could get sort of small in the workspace menubar, but I think it
would still be clear that the icons are different from the main icon.
Were you thinking to convey information via a different sub-icon for
each function, e.g., like the 'e', 'd', 'c', etc. I suggested?

Copyright? I'm not sure. Others?

Dan

I think letters in the icons for the floating widgets would require
different icon sets for different translations. I attached two possible
icons for the editor widget. What do you think?

The letter inside the logo looks nice, but I suppose it doesn't convey
the meaning as well as the graphic does. It looks like an application
graphic of its own.

If one opens the PNG images in GIMP the icons appear in the dock bar so
it gives an idea of what this will look like when implemented.  The 'e'
isn't too bad, maybe if it were slightly darker or a non-neutral tone
that sets it apart from the orange and blue of the Octave logo.  How
other letters would fit would need examples too.

So, up in the air.  Let's see what others think.

Dan

Please find attached two potential sets of draft icons for the widgets
(letters and graphics). Comments?

Torsten

The color you chose for the letters doesn't work so well on a grey background, i.e., the typical blue Windows theme. I can import the PNGs into GIMP, select the letters and cast them to other shades. However, it is difficult to find something orthogonal to both blue and orange since they are separated pretty far on the spectrum. So, I just changed a letter to black and that looks fairly good.

However, black might not work if someone picks a theme for which the background is black (e.g., handheld device with OLED screen). So, I was going to create a set of icons with cut and paste of the letters onto another layer in GIMP, then on a mid layer put a white box with black border, i.e.,

Layer 1: Octave logo with transparencies
Layer 2: White box with border
Layer 3: Black letter

then flatten the layers into a PNG image. Haven't gotten that far yet. I suspect they will look similar to the other set of icons, but with a letter description rather than a graphical depiction.

Dan